Monday, June 10, 2013

June plan: Scheduled bursts and worthwhile habits

Last time I described my goal of combining two productivity regimes: drip and burst.

To recap, the hybrid approach has three levels:
1) pre-scheduled bursts of intense, focused and distraction-free work on my most important and difficult projects (regardless of urgency).
2) a limited number of high-yield low-cost daily habits performed intentionally and mindfully
3) batches (ideally 2+ hours) containing everything else

_____________________________________________________________________________

Accountability is critical

I promise to my readers, that for the rest of June (and possibly beyond), I will do the following each week: 
1) I will post a calendar at the start of the week indicating my scheduled bursts and how I work around them.
2) I will post a calendar at the end of the week indicating successes and failures.
3) I will post a screenshot of Lift for daily habits that week.
_____________________________________________________________________________



Orange indicates scheduled bursts of work on most important projects. I can work on those projects other times, but not in focused bursts (to avoid exhausting my mental energy).  Blue indicates other commitments. Everything else gets crammed into the white spaces.
Lift on iPhone for the past 2 weeks.




_____________________________________________________________________________

Tier 1: Scheduled Bursts

  1. Lab (most important project- 2 related experimental protocols I've never done before and will yield the missing data required for submission)
  2. Literature review: 15 papers read in-depth, 30 skimmed, 100 abstracts. Aiming to fill in the gaps in my knowledge.
Rules: 
  • Scheduling: Must schedule these in advance at the beginning of the week for at least 3 hours each. I treat these as commitments. These are non-negotiable (overrule other things that come up, like meetings). However, I will not overly fret about making an "ideal" schedule ahead of time. Perfectionism and over-planning are forms of procrastination.
  • Distractions: I shut off my phone/Internet and isolate myself as best I can. If I give into ANY distraction, I must stop and mark it as a failure, and report it on this blog. If I decide an unexpected interruption is important and urgent enough to stop what I'm doing, it is not a failure, but I make a note of it to see if I can find a way to avoid it in the future.
  • Focus: Use a timer for 60 continuous minutes (optional to do more on given day after a 15 minute break). Increase by 10 minutes after completing 10 successful sessions in a row.
  • Visible Progress: Have something to show for each session. This can be in a summary in an idea notebook, an updated master project document, an updated manuscript, talking to my PI, prepping slides for lab meeting, etc
  • Breaks: At least one day a week, I cannot work on my most important projects
_____________________________________________________________________________

Tier 2: Worthwhile Habits

  1. Check e-mail/FB/news/Feedly once a day
  2. Write 30 minutes per day
  3. Make good eye contact
  4. Meditate
  5. Do something I fear
  6. Say "no" to one thing
Rules:
  • Aim to do these everyday. Accomplish as many as possible early in the day
  • Checking e-mail a single time is the most important and most difficult. For motivation, as soon as I check a 2nd time, I am barred from recording more habits for the day. At other times, Gmail is blocked from my computer, and Mailbox is put on the last icon screen of my phone. I do check "important" e-mail folder 1 extra time per day. It is also OK to open e-mail to obtain information necessary for a project, but getting distracted by unrelated e-mails constitutes failure

1 comment:

  1. Way to be hard core on yourself! If you need someone to keep you accountable on something in particular, let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

MD/PhD student trying to garner attention to myself and feel important by writing a blog.

Pet peeves: conventional wisdom, blindly following intuition, confusing correlation for causation, and arguing against the converse

Challenges
2013: 52 books in 52 weeks. Complete
2014: TBA. Hint.

Reading Challenge 2013

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
Albert has read 5 books toward his goal of 52 books.
hide

Goodreads

Albert's bookshelf: read

Zen Habits - Handbook for Life
5 of 5 stars true
Great, quick guide. I got a ton of work done these past two weeks implementing just two of the habits described in this book.
The Hunger Games
5 of 5 stars true
I was expecting to be disappointed. I wasn't.

goodreads.com